Aqualung Steps Into Into The Dive Computer Market
Having used the same computer brand for nearly 20 years, it was hard to jump ship from something that had only occasionally let me down. Especially to a brand that is although well trusted in the other diving equipment would be their first foray into the dive computer market. So enticed by a great deal and free in house quick and efficient repairs I decided to take a chance.
The Aqualung i450T certainly looks the part, a sleek design and easy to read characters attach to your arm with a very soft and comfortable silicone strap. The menu is ridiculously easy to use, due to 4 buttons enabling you to scroll through a mainly non abbreviated menu and change settings in a flash. It doesn’t take you on an over complicated journey of button pressing sequences.
To be perfectly honest it hasn’t been all smooth sailing. The i450T that I had was from the first batch received in Thailand and despite obviously rigorous testing I was expecting some issues and so I did. The backlight button had to be replaced on two occasions and there was a battery issue. The latest software updates appear to have solved the problems because for the last year the computer has been working perfectly. So I can now honestly say that I’m a convert to this simple to use, feature packed and well thought out dive computer.
The i450T comes in three basic but stylish colour options – black, white and blue/black.
So What Can It Do?
Lots! Everything for recreational divers/free divers and plenty for the techies. Here’s a list of the specifications and main features:
- 4 operating modes: Air, Nitrox, Gauge, and Free Dive modes
- Hoseless gas integration. Patented Gas Time Remaining Algorithm provides calculations in real time, allowing accurate gas management
- Once you pair your transmitter to your computer– it’s paired for life
- Compatible with 3 different transmitters and gas mixes on a single dive
- Super easy menu navigation
- Free Dive mode. Manage your free diving with depth, bottom and surface times, dedicated free dive memory
- Audible alarms and additional high-visibility LED warning light
- Digital compass features a North reference, return bearing lock, and declination adjustment
- Multiple gas capability manages up to 3 Nitrox mixes (with 3 transmitters), each with individual PO2 set points
- Automatic altitude adjustment ensures an accurate profile
- Pre-Dive planning
- Automatic Safety Stop Countdown displayed in minutes and seconds
- User changeable battery, with a data retention feature that maintains settings and calculations between battery changes
- User-updatable software gives access to the latest features and upgrades
- Backlighting for easy reading in low light
- Salt or fresh water dive selection
- Optional deep stop with countdown timer
What We Like
As you can see it has plenty of great features and at very good price compared to other brands in the same spec band. Supplying the download cable and a user interchangeable battery are very welcome. The menu is really easy to navigate and the compass works extremely well. Aqualungs claim of “Complex made Easy” is right on the mark.
Free updates are available from the Aqualung website so it’s easy to download improved software.
The black version has a special PVD coating and is so priced slightly higher than the other colours – THB 28,490 (US$ 900) and both the white and blue/black options are THB 25,490 (US$ 810)
Just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make sure we’ll have it available when you arrive
Posted in Equipment We Like on .