Comfort Or Convenience? On Your Phuket Diving Holiday
We would all prefer to be using our own equipment but sometimes the extra carriage fees, weight of equipment and trying to get it dry after we’ve finished scuba diving can be a bit of a pain. Hiring equipment can be a simple solution at a surprisingly low cost.
Bringing Your own Equipment
If you’re going on a liveaboard safari or are in Phuket just to dive then yes of course you’ll bring what ever equipment you have. Everybody feels comfortable with their own equipment, you’ll know how many weights you need, know how your regulator breaths, will be confident that your perfectly fitted fins won’t cause any blisters that can really ruin a trip, know your mask won’t leak and having a computer that you are familiar with all make the trip just that little bit better.
Hiring From A Dive Centre
Some will be wary of this, you probably won’t know what condition the equipment is in until the day of your dive. I’ve personally come across some shocking rental equipment in the past and have refused to use it, thankfully the standard on Phuket is pretty high, in such a competitive environment a dive centre on Phuket wouldn’t last long with shoddy equipment.
We personally have our own in-house certified equipment technician who as a former fire officer and mine safety consultant takes the upkeep and working order of our equipment very seriously. We’ve also fitted Aqualung ACD systems to our regulators to keep them in prime condition and flexi-hoses to the second stage for maximum comfort.
The Equipment We Use
Aqualung Wave BCD
- New technologically advanced ResisteK™ material resists fading and abrasion
- A proprietary backpack has a built in carrying handle
- The waistband is adjustable in the back to accommodate a wide range of waist sizes
- A scooped octo-pocket on the top front of the right lobe and a new octo-sleeve on the right shoulder strap provide two options to stow and deploy an octopus. In either location, the octopus remains visible and accessible throughout the dive
- A scooped instrument pocket (or octo-pocket) is also on the top front of left lobe, giving versatility of use
- A large, easy-to-access utility pocket is found on each side of the Wave
- Features 2 stainless steel flat D-rings for all of your accessories
- Right shoulder pull dump with highly visible orange pull bob is easy to locate and use
- Lower rear dump with highly visible orange pull bob is useful for horizontal or head down orientation
- Adjustable chest strap for personal comfort
- Comes in 8 sizes including 3XS and 2XS
Aqualung Calypso Regulator
- In-line, high-flow piston design means fewer components, excellent reliability and easy maintenance
- Large diameter of piston guarantees a more stable medium pressure output
- The 6 large holes in the end cap results in easier cleaning as well as better thermal exchange, thus improving the freezing resistance
- Features 1 HP port and 4 MP ports
- Compatible with EAN 40 new, out of the box
- Mid-size, high performance, demand valve second stage
- The easy-to-grip venturi lever prevents unwanted freeflow at the surface while giving a performance boost at depth
- Can easily be reversed from right-handed to left-handed configuration by an Authorized Aqua Lung dealer without additional parts
- Comes with Aqua Lung’s Comfo-Bite™ mouthpiece that reduces jaw fatigue
- A grid built into the exhaust tee creates finer exhaust bubbles for less noise and more stability
- Easy purge front cover
- A reinforced polycarbonate material makes this second stage stronger than its predecessor
- The side openings on the front cover prevent freeflow when facing into currents or riding a scooter
Aqualung Look HD Mask
- The frame is rugged because it is made from innovative techno-polymers reinforced with inorganic fibers
- A stainless steel bar has been integrated into the frame to eliminate torsion and keep lens in the same plane
- Advanced Fit Technology(AFT) uses bands of different textures around the edge of the skirt to provide a superior seal against the face
- Cardanic joint buckles swivel up and down, in and out for optimal fit and comfort
- 4mm tempered flat glass
Aqualung Flexar Fins
- Hi-quality, high-performance, lightweight scuba diving fin
- Power Zone
- Open heel
- Hi-flexible blade material
- Adjustable bungee strap on three positions
- DCS – Direction Control System
It’s obviously down to the individual but if you only plan a day or two of diving then you’ll probably want to leave the equipment at home, although bringing your own mask, fins and computer is worthwhile. They’re all reasonably light and will certainly dry quickly. Although there are some very good light weight travels BCD’s and regulators around – the Aqualung Zuma is surprising rugged, fairly comfortable, can be rolled up to reduce space and weighs in at just 2.2kg when dry.
If you do decide to hire then you can rest assured that our equipment is regularly maintained and serviced, we also have plenty of spare equipment on our boats just in case you’re unlucky enough to get a rare malfunction. Even if your own equipment fails we’re more than happy to supply a replacement for your trip free of charge for our own customers.
Posted in Equipment We Like on .